Can Neodymium Magnets Damage Electronics?

Properties and Safety Precautions of Neodymium Magnets

For every magnet, you have to follow general safety precautions according to their specific properties. To ensure the extended life of a magnet, it is essential to follow recommended storage, safety and handling guidelines. 

Neodymium magnets are powerful than several other magnets. Before using this magnet, you should learn about its power because mishandling may lead to injuries. Can neodymium magnets damage electronics? It is a common question people frequently asked.

Remember, a strong magnetic field of neodymium magnet is harmful to ICDs, implanted medical tools and pacemakers. A magnetic field can deactivate numerous features of these devices. For this reason, you have to be careful to prevent accidental deactivation of devices. 

Fragile and Brittle Magnets

Neodymium is constructed with a brittle and hard material. You should not consider it durable because of its metal construction, metallic and shiny appearance. It is not durable as compared to other magnets. Remember, it is not a toy; therefore, keep it away from children. Small magnets may increase the chances of choking hazards.

If your child swallows more than one magnet, these will attach to their intestine walls and cause severe health risks. These magnets may chip, shatter, crack or peel if they are slammed together.  Before handling these magnets, it will be great to wear eye protection. It is not easy to drill or machine them.

Impact Magnetic Media

The powerful magnetic fields adjoining neodymium magnets may damage magnetic media, including videotapes, cassette tapes, magnetic I.D. cards, credit cards, floppy disks, etc. Moreover, they are harmful to VCRs, televisions, CRT displays and computer monitors. You should keep neodymium magnets away from electronic appliances.

The standard operating temperature for this magnet is 175°F or 80°C, but it may vary based on magnet shape and grade. At high temperature, neodymium magnets may become demagnetized. Dust or powder of neodymium magnet is flammable; therefore, avoid machining or drilling magnets. 

Stay Away from Neodymium Magnet with Nickel Allergies

Some people have nickel allergies that may cause a skin rash or redness. If you have nickel allergies, avoid direct handling neodymium magnets (nickel-plated). Remember, powerful magnetic fields may interfere with navigation and compasses. Magnetic fields are harmful because air transport uses magnetometers or compasses. Moreover, neodymium magnets can impact the inner compasses of GPS devices and smartphones.

Corrosion in Neodymium Magnets

Moisture can increase the chances of corrosion and rust in neodymium magnets. The three-layer plating (nickel, copper, nickel) on magnets offer maximum protection for different applications. Unfortunately, magnets do not have waterproof properties. If you use them in a moist atmosphere, outdoor or underwater, they can lose magnetic power and corrode.

Make sure to wear gloves and eye protection before working with neodymium magnets. Avoid exposing them to high temperatures because it is flammable. You should learn about maximum operating temperature before using magnets. If you are mishandling it, you are actually increasing the chances of injuries. Please keep it away from children because they can swallow small pieces. Swallowing magnets will increase the chances of organ damage and even death. 

Author avatar
John Mathews
https://aquilaeng.com.au

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We use cookies to give you the best experience.